AUR helpers will come and go. We have had our fair share already – packer – yaourt.
October 2018 we have yay and trizen to help us install applications from the Arch Users Repository or AUR.
We show you
- where to download yay-bin
- how to extract it
- how to build it
- how to install it
- how to use yay to install trizen or any other package for that matter
Installing in a desktop environment
Installing in a terminal or TTY
Procedure to install any package from AUR – yay-bin as example
Sometimes we do not have a desktop environment.
Know your shortcuts.
CTRL + ALT + F2 or F3 … will give you the TTY
Right CTRL + F2 or F3 … will give you the TTY on VirtualBox
Content of the video
- figure out the url of the PKGBUILD – plain!!
- use wget or curl to get the pkgbuild
- wget https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/plain/PKGBUILD?h=yay -O PKGBUILD
- sudo pacman -U …
Use the ArcoLinux repo
When you are moving to Phase 5 (installing Arch Linux the Arch Way), you will need the scripts from the folder Arch Way to get the key of ArcoLinux.
This folder is on any of the ArcoLinuxD githubs : https://github.com/arcolinuxd.
Why would you add repos of ArcoLinux to a vanilla Arch installation?
- install yay and trizen from the ArcoLinux repo (just another alternative to get AUR helpers in)
- save time and energy
- you want to have the config of i3, bspwm, awesome, xmonad, …
- you want the conkies of ArcoLinux
- you want the many colored Arc themes
We call these downloads and installations on Arch Linux
Getting the spices from ArcoLinux
Search this website or our youtube channel for the word spice and learn more.
You can try to find all the data online in all the diverse githubs
or follow this tutorial and type afterwards
sudo pacman -S yay trizen sudo pacman -S arcolinux-i3wm-git sudo pacman -S arcolinux-bspwm-git ... sudo pacman -S arcolinux-conky-collection-git sudo pacman -S arcolinux-arc-themes-git
But you need to add an extra repo if you want yay and trizen
[arcolinux_repo_iso] SigLevel = Required DatabaseOptional Include = /etc/pacman.d/arcolinux-mirrorlist
After installation of yay and trizen put hashtags before the lines so you will get the software from AUR again.
#[arcolinux_repo_iso] #SigLevel = Required DatabaseOptional #Include = /etc/pacman.d/arcolinux-mirrorlist